Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ride a bike or pay 4 bucks a gallon?

    In light of the recent jump in gas prices I have seriously considered curtailing my usage. I have a perfectly capable bicycle that I bought from Wal-mart for 150 bucks, I think it's time I let the investment pay off. Why not? I love to ride a bike! If I decide to do it, I will do it out of principle alone. I can afford 4 dollars a gallon, but it's just not right. I think it's literally highway robbery!
   News reports indicate that the fighting in Libya is to blame. As I understand it, the mere speculation that there could be a shortage (because nobody would be pumping out the reserves in that oil rich country) the price goes up to compensate for the loss - the ol' supply and demand -flimsy excuse in my book!
   This is not the first time I've locked the oil companies out of my wallet. Back in 2007 I believe, when gas prices had in fact reached 4 dollars a gallon I began riding the bus to work. By my calculations I was saving more than a hundred dollars, if not more, each month. I won't lie, riding the bus was not enjoyable. It was inconvenient, and the bus didn't even take me all the way to my destination. My commute took twice as long to get to work, and then there's the germ thing. I'm not a snob, but I do have some OCD issues.
    Riding a bicycle will also produce some challenges: The distance. Security. And my appearance when I arrive at work (Where I have to be on tv!).
    As for the distance. I actually love a challenge, especially a physical one. I'll have to adjust for time though. Mapquest estimates that it's about a 10 mile trek. I'm sure with some creativity I can trim that down to 7 or 8. And that brings me to security. The creativity would have me riding through some "bad" neighborhoods. And by bad I mean areas that are known for violent crime. My ride home would be literally in the middle of the night. This is by far my biggest concern. As a journalist I see the violence play out on the very streets I'll be riding on. I'm not a great fighter, and I'm certainly not a violent person. But if I were an attacker, I would let me pedal on by. Because there would be consequences, I don't intend on becoming a statistic.
     Now onto appearance. I have to assume these prices will continue into the summer months. I will no doubt be very hot and sweaty. This can somewhat be fixed when I get to work. But I will have to allow for some more time. Actually a lot of time. My hair can get pretty ridiculous.
    Look, the oil companies know how easy they've made our lives. We don't, until we hop on a bicycle and make it part of our daily routine.
    I'm not anti-oil. In fact I'm very much pro-oil, and more than that I'm pro-industry. But guess what, industry also produced a perfectly good bicycle that sits in my back yard.
    With all that said, I still haven't decided to commit. Because that's exactly what it takes to ween yourself off of fossil fuel - commitment.
   Who knows, I might even do a story on it.
   If I do commit, hopefully the government, and the oil companies will regain their senses, and I will be glad to rejoin the very comfortable driving public.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,
    I do agree in principle with your article and a few years ago I parked my car a road my motorcycle to work for a while, and I do mean a very short while!!!!!
    I soon learned that I was willing to pay any price to get to work and not have helmet hair, and the other drivers will KILL YOU! I don’t know if they are just that stupid or just oblivious! I learned it will not be the gangs that will scare you but slick rick on the cell phone that’s deadly!
    My approach to saving money, and I know that this is a principle issue, but it always comes back to money at some point and if I can save some on “A” then “B” can go up and I still break even!
    And the point to this list is that nothing is worth the $100 a month if you are long term injured or killed!
    • So I just bought store brands when it made since and did not taste like the box was more nutritious!
    • I got a 2010 VW Jetta turbo diesel that gets 50mpg! Ok I have had nicer cars for sure but it was my way of compromising!
    • I keep it 5 degrees cooler in my house (in winter) than I like it!
    • I really try to stop eating out for lunch (as much) that is a minimum of $150 per month that I was wasting in laziness of not wanting to bring food!
    • I stopped buying anything over $100 on the spot, I make myself wait 1 weekend and then if I still really need it then I get it!
    • I moved further away from work!! Yep I’m crazy! Ok economics 101, I spend about $75-100 more in gas but my house Square footage went from ok to really big and my mortgage went down $1000per month!
    • Now I do hear all the time about the “drive time” well I did add 25-30 minutes to my drive, economics 101 says that that’s about 1 a day X’s 20 workdays equals $50 per hour for doing absolutely nothing!
    The real point is just today the new radio station reported that the economy is getting better because credit card use is going up and people are spending again!
    Now this is what I heard, “Good news, the economy is getting better because people are going more in debt and have less savings!” now back to you Hillary!
    Moral of the story is fix what you can fix save what you can save, and the rest is the cost of doing business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for saving money Mike! There is however one expense I indulge in, and that's eating out. It's our pastime. And for me I consider it a quality of life issue. I do it. I do it often, and I don't feel guilty about it. I am willing to cut back on other things so that I can keep doing it. :) Sounds like I'm describing heroin. :)
    And you're right, I have been riding for years just as a leisurely activity, and slick rick on the cell phone is wayyyy more dangerous than gangs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep i feel ya! I love to eat out with the wife that’s why i cut back on the lunches! i also have a thing about going out with the wife to the local bar for drinks and live music! i don’t even drink more than 3-4 beers but i just love the atmosphere, and I know way too many married couples that just sit at home growing old and stale together, I prefer to go out and have fun with the wife to keep us young and interested in each other! I know I’m such a wild and crazy guy! Practically a heathen! LOL

    ReplyDelete